Fresh Tomato Sauce

The summer has come to a close and yet my tomato plant outside has just now decided that it's ready to produce red tomatoes.  I have had large green tomatoes on my plant for weeks now and they have finally all turned red at once.  This is definitely a good problem to have though! Tomatoes are so versatile and can be made into so many yummy things!

I instantly knew that I wanted to try my hand at a fresh tomato sauce for spaghetti.  After asking around on social media and researching a lot of different recipes, I decided to just go for it and make my own concoction.  The results turned out great! I still plan on making more with different recipes because I have quite a few tomatoes and want to be able to can it.



For this sauce, I used 8 vine ripe tomatoes.  I simply diced the and chopped up a handful of basil in my garden and placed them in a large pot to cook down.  I didn't not skin or deseed the tomatoes, like many of the recipes instructed me to do, and honestly I don't think I needed to.  For this sauce, however, I was wanting a chunkier texture, so not getting rid of the skin and seeds probably didn't matter.  When I make sauce to can and freeze, I plan on doing these steps.  While the tomatoes and basil cooked, I sauteed a few cloves of minced garlic and a large white onion (diced) in some olive oil until translucent.  Once finished, I added the onions and garlic to the tomato and basil pot.  I added salt, pepper, and a couple tablespoons of white sugar to the mix and gave it a stir.  I added sugar because tomatoes can be very acidic and the sugar helps to cut down the acid and (obviously) adds a sweetness that I really like.  Then I put it on low heat and let it simmer for a couple of hours! The sauce was absolutely delicious and sooooo fresh.  This recipe made enough sauce for my husband and I and then leftovers.  So probably 4 servings in the end.  Now that I've done fresh tomato sauce, there really IS a huge difference between that and the bottled stuff.  I can't say I'll never use bottles again because they are definitely convenient, but I'll just say that I'll be making this sauce a lot more in the future.  Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you try it! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. That's pretty much what I do. I've never canned tomato sauce partly because the whole deseeding and skinning thing sounds obnoxious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty much what I do. I've never canned tomato sauce partly because the whole deseeding and skinning thing sounds obnoxious :-)

    ReplyDelete